Monday, August 14, 2006

Rahul Bajaj - only the rich who understand the poor

Karan Thapar(the Devil's Advocate) of CNN-IBN did an interview with Rahul Bajaj, the notable industralist Rajya Sabha MP and they got into a petty fight about the defintion of politics, his net worth 419 crores (sic) and the fact that the rich actually understand the poor more than the poor itself. Rahul Bajaj inspite of going to Harvard hasn't learnt anything in life. He's a rich spoilt brat who will now represent the country's farmers as they drown in debt and commit sucides (no pun intended).

Here are some of his quotable quotes.

Karan Thapar: But do you accept that today you are in politics?
Rahul Bajaj: Of course not.
Karan Thapar: Why not?
Rahul Bajaj: What makes you say that I am in politics?
Karan Thapar: Because you are an MP.
Rahul Bajaj: So?
Karan Thapar: MPs are in politics. Parliament is politics.
Rahul Bajaj: That is what you say. Is there a law anywhere? Can you show it to me?
...
Karan Thapar:If it is relevant I will tell you. I went to Doon School, Cambridge, Oxford and I know a lot about politics.
Rahul Bajaj: I went to Cathedral, St. Stephens, and Harvard, slightly better than you in every respect. So I understand logic. But I am a humble man unlike you.
...
Karan Thapar: Do you know what they say? They say the mighty Rahul Bajaj, who is so proud of himself, has become a political pawn in the hands of Sharad Pawar.
Rahul Bajaj: I am a stooge.
Karan Thapar: Yes. I wasn’t going to use such a cruel word but you used the word.
...
Karan Thapar: Mr Bajaj now that you are an MP, explain to me how a man who is worth some Rs 420 crore can believe that he is the right representative for the people of Maharashtra?
Rahul Bajaj: I don’t like this word Rs 420 crore. The figure is Rs 419 crore and including my wife it is Rs 473 crore. My children and brothers are not included.
Karan Thapar: Alright not Rs 420 crore. You are associating all sorts of mischief with the word Rs 419 crore.
Rahul Bajaj: Rs 419 crore is a much better word.
...
Karan Thapar: How do you understand the poverty, the farmer suicides and about the children dying of malnutrition, which afflict this state?
Rahul Bajaj: If you think only the poor understand the poor and only the rich understand the rich and only a politician understands a politician and only a journalist like you understands a journalist, you are far away from truth. It’s only the rich who understand the poor and also an occasional genuine honest poor will understand the poor.
Karan Thapar: Only the rich understand the poor?
Rahul Bajaj: I didn’t say only. I said the rich and also the poor, but not the slogan-mongering politician who want votes. So it is irrelevant if I am rich or poor.
...
Karan Thapar: 89 per cent of the farmers in Maharashtra are in debt. Their quantum of debt has increased by 232 per cent since 1991. As a result in the last one-year 550 suicides have taken place in just one district, Vidharba.
Rahul Bajaj: Very wrong question again.
Karan Thapar: But an important one.
Rahul Bajaj: Just say the farmers are in trouble in Maharashtra and Andhra and some other places and I know that.
Karan Thapar: But I am talking of debt in particular because can a man who is worth Rs 419 crore understand what it is like to be in debt to the point at which you take your life. Can you understand that?


Sreekantp's Excellent analysis is also a must read.

With politicians like these, God bless India.

No comments: